Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Why are you NOT using stories in your marketing!


 
Think back to your college days.  Do you remember your favorite lecture?  The answer is probably no but then again maybe.  To this day there is one lecture from college I remember; in fact it’s the only lecture I remember, and it wasn’t a lecture at all; it was a story.  

I won’t go into much detail because frankly it’s not appropriate for this blog.  However I can tell you the story was about how a fellow student got her boyfriend to quit smoking.

I use this example because this professor whose name I can’t recall got his message across in a way that still sticks with me today.  It stuck because he told a GREAT story! 

Stories are how we remember our lives and how we are remembered.  So why should how we remember a company or product be any different?  In my opinion the best teachers, politicians and yes sales people have one thing in common, their GREAT story tellers!  

Again, why are you not using stories in your marketing! (Rhetorical hence no ?)   

Billy Mays…..remember him? 

“Hi! Billy Mays here, with……!” 

I bet if you couldn’t place his name that short little sentence he used to start every one of his infomercials jarred your memory.   

Whether or not you thought Billy Mays was annoying, Billy was a master story teller.   He did what we all should be doing as marketers; he created “WOW” moments.  

These “WOW” moments came when that “Super Powered Epoxy” known as Mighty Putty had the power to pull an 80 thousand pound truck, or when OXI Clean instantly removed a wine stain from a white carpet. 

My challenge to you is find your companies “WOW” moment!

Do you think Billy would have been able to create his “WOW” moments with text on a website or brochure?  NO! Billy showed every one of us exactly what his products could do through video!  “I’ll believe it when I see it!” Well Billy showed the world and millions continue to buy his products years after his death.  

The good thing is “WOW” moments come in all forms.  Millions of Americans watch shows on how products are made, could this be where we find your “WOW” moment?  Or how about and inspiring story from a happy customer or challenge your business has overcome…don’t forget everyone loves an underdog.  

Your “WOW” moment is out there we just have to find it.  

John LaBerge- Founder Press Media Communications
If you have not figured out the message my professor was trying convey...email me I won't bust your chops too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment